Tau Sigma - National Honor Society for Transfer Students
The purpose of Tau Sigma National Honor Society is to recognize the academic achievement of students transferring to Florida International University from other academic institutions. Tau Sigma encourages and promotes involvement for transfer students at FIU, especially in activities and programs that assist other transfer students in making a successful transition.
Enrolled full-time as a current student at Florida International University.
Transferred into FIU with at least one full year of academic credits from a previous academic institution(s).
Earned a 3.5 or higher GPA in the first full-time semester at FIU, or earn a GPA in the top 20% of all new transfer students for that semester.
Accepting your Membership:
Membership to Tau Sigma is by invitation only. Students who meet the membership criteria will be sent an invitation in the mail to join Tau Sigma National Honor Society in the semester following their first semester at FIU. To officially accept membership and join Tau Sigma, students must complete the membership form and mail it back to the Tau Sigma National Office with their one-time $45 membership fee.
Tau Sigma is a one-time opportunity: Students who fail to respond to the initial invitation for membership prior to the indicated deadline are unable to join Tau Sigma at a later date.
As an organization specifically focused on transfer students, Tau Sigma is a valuable leadership opportunity as well as an avenue through which transfer students can enhance their connection to FIU and to one another. Every year Tau Sigma holds a Leadership Conference where transfer students from all over the country can interact with one another and share ideas.
Many graduate and professional schools ask about involvement in an honor society, and Tau Sigma will provide a meaningful experience to list on your resume!
Connect, Lead, Prepare, and Serve. Tau Sigma offers something for all transfers! Monthly meetings and special events are a great way to get involved!
Meetings for 2015-16 are from 6-7:30pm on the following dates:
- September 14th - GC 316
- October 5th - GC 316
- November 2nd - GC 316
- November 30th - GC 316
- January 25th - GC 314
- February 15th - GC 314
- March 7th - GC 314
- April 4th - GC 314
- April 25th - GC 314
Members of Tau Sigma are eligible for a total of over $54,000 of scholarships annually. In 2014, one of our members, Rummesa Abrar, was awarded a scholarship from the national headquarters! Look for scholarship applications coming in Fall 2015.
A formal induction ceremony will be held in Fall and Spring to recognize the outstanding achievements of our Tau Sigma members. Members must RSVP to the ceremony, and are encouraged to bring their families and friends to help them celebrate their achievements! Fall Induction Ceremony (for those who began at FIU in Spring 2015 or Summer 2015) will be held on September 27th at 1pm in the Stadium Club (inside the Football Stadium) at MMC. Official link to RSVP is available through OrgSync.
For more information about the FIU chapter of Tau Sigma, please contact Tau Sigma Advisor, Ashley Grimes at firstname.lastname@example.org or 305-348-6414. Like us on Facebook to stay updated and learn more about the organization!
Transfer Ambassador ProgramHelp incoming transfers! Make the transition to FIU smooth and easy!
Transfer Ambassador Mentors are connected with students at Miami-Dade College who are interested in transferring to FIU in the near future. They are guides, supportors, and leaders who help incoming transfers navigate FIU and the process of transitioning to our Panther family!
Expectations of Transfer Ambassador Mentors:
- Communicating with Mentee at least once a month
- Attending a monthly meeting with fellow Mentors from 6-7:30pm on the following dates: Oct. 8th, Nov. 5th, and Dec. 3rd; Spring semester dates/times are TBD
- Attending at least 2 FIU events with your Mentee each semester (Ex. games, Tau Sigma events, concerts, competitions, or philanthropy events on campus)
- Serving as a guide to help point out useful resources available at FIU to incoming transfer students
- Sharing your experiences and making incoming transfers feel more comfortable and connected to FIU
- Completing an online update form once per month to keep the program coordinators up-to-date on your mentor/mentee connection
- Maintaining good academic and conduct standing with the university
- Complete the application before September 21, 2015 at 5:00pm EST
- If selected to move forward, participate in an interview round between September 23-30, 2015
- If chosen for the position, attend an orientation/training session between September 30-October 8, 2015